Thursday 8 May 2008

Being Bad Questionaire

Age?
19

Sex?
Female

What is your degree subject (both if joint)?
Film

Does ‘Being Bad’ relate well to the other modules you are taking?
yes

If so, how? And if not, why not?
So many films have been made about bad behaviour which I have previously viewed at face value and have not really thought of the issues involved. It has helped me in film studies as I have had a better understanding of the different audience view points. It has given me more material to discuss in essays and heightened my awareness.

Have you found ‘Being Bad’ too demanding, too easy, or at an appropriate level?
The only problem that I have encountered has been the blog project. I loved doing the blogs but the practicalities of making an entry everyday, in order to get a decent grade, have been very difficult. I know it sounds like an excuse but my laptop has had a fault which has been a nuisance and its not always possible to get into university to use their computers. Apart from that minor problem I have really enjoyed the work.

Do you think the list of topics covered on the module was appropriate?
Yes. I did wonder at first how some of the subjects might fit in, such as being too religious, but after the lecture I understood far more.

Are there any topics not included in the module that you would like to see included?
I thought the list was very comprehensive, and the only thing I might have been interested in finding more about was youth culture, such as gangs and skinheads etc.

Do you think that the format for classes has worked well?
Yes

What did you think of the module team?
Every lecturer was good but I particularly enjoys the lecture on tattoos and drugs and I thought these tutors really engaged with the group.

Do you think it would have been better to have had more:
Small group discussions? Yes, I think it would have been beneficial and would have perhaps helped with the blog.


Discussion and debate among the class as a whole?
No, i believe this didn't work, to be honest there was to much background noise and groups sometimes started their own discussions, and for someone with a hearing problem like myself, it was to differentiate between them all.


Information and talk from lecturers?
I think there was enough.

The approach taken in the module is interdisciplinary (drawing on perspectives from English Literature, Film Studies, Creative Writing, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Media Studies and Politics): do you think this a useful way of approaching the topics covered in the module?
Yes. It has allowed me to think more, not to see things purely from the perspectives of a film student and has genuinely widened my interest.

Do you think that interdisciplinary modules are a good idea?
Yes

Do you think you have benefited from the interdisciplinary approach taken in the module?
Yes

Would you like to see more modules that cover this kind of subject matter?
Yes

Are you planning to take the follow-up module PH2004 ‘It Shouldn’t Be Allowed’ at level 2?
Yes

Would you recommend ‘Being Bad’ to a friend?
Yes

Do you think that the blogs (web logs) were a good idea?
Yes I think they are a really good idea, but maybe being allowed to do more than one a day would be more practical in order to juggle the work load taking into account other subjects.

What did you think of the other assessments (e.g. would it be better to have one longer assessment rather than two shorter ones?)?
No. I really liked this idea. I liked having the choice to choose what I wanted to do, and I thought the amount of work was more manageable.

What have you learned from the module?
A lot. I have learned not to take things at face value and to think a little more deeply about the issues discussed. I have learned new ways to think about things and as a film student I have learned the influences of the other disciplines which I may not have thought of before. I have also have a wider knowledge of the thoughts and opinions of my fellow students and I have used these ideas outside university.

What parts of the module have you found most useful and why?
My favourite lecture was on body modification. I have always had a fascination with body modification. I have never had a tattoo, because I have always wanted to know the meaning behind them. I don't want a star just because they look pretty, i want to know what it means. This lecture discussed different meanings and other peoples views about tattoos and I found this really interesting.

What parts do you think were a waste of time and why?
None of it was a waste of time. I took something from every lecture.

Are there any other comments you wish to make regarding ‘Being Bad’?
I have thoroughly enjoyed this module and am looking forward to being bad 2 next year.

No comments: